Kleins

Kleins

Translate

Showing posts with label moving. Show all posts
Showing posts with label moving. Show all posts

Saturday, June 05, 2010

PART 5: A funny thing happened on the way to St Louis....

When he opens no one will shut,
When he shuts no one will open.
Isaiah 22:22

We continue our saga (remember, this is the short version!), where we left off here.

Again, it seems good to reiterate that buying a home, or buying this home, is really not of utmost importance in our lives at all. We feel believers should apply the principle that Paul lays out in 1 Corinthians 7:29: But this I say, brethren, the time is short: it remaineth, that ... they that buy, as though they possessed not; And they that use this world, as not abusing it: for the fashion of this world passeth away. After all, this world is not our home!

But our whole experience with this move has been one of learning to wait on the LORD, learning to really say, "Not my will but thine be done," and leaving it up to him, and following. And really desiring that his will will be done in our lives, recongnizing that he really is our shepherd leading us, as long as we recongnize our need for his leadership, NOT leaning on our own understanding, but acknowledging him in all our ways, and seeking him first. That really is our desire, and that was really the only way we could persevere with our 4 month escrow with our sanity. Our options in Wisconsin seemed to be such that we needed to move, and that is what led to the job search which seemed to be taking us to St Louis. But really, the Lord was taking us through a crash course in following him! It just seemed to be via St Louis!

So, we left off where the loan officer said, "I'm sorry, you're not getting the loan."

Well, since we already let the cat out of the bag, that we ARE in St Louis, our bright readers must realize that something happened to change the situation after the loan officer called and told us "You're not getting the loan." What is so weird is that it was nothing we did or tried to do that changed it, but it did, kind of, change!

When she called, I dashed out the door and went to walk in the backyard, as it was relatively quiet. Dave, of course, was in St Louis, working. I was looking around at the changing trees, enjoying the November breeze which hinted at the arrival of winter.

You see, as she said the words, "You're not getting the loan," all I could think of is,

"We're not moving to St Louis.
We're staying in Wisconsin.
It's over!"

So as she explained the different criteria and what had happened, I was mentally already done with the conversation. Now, I was trying to adjust to the new plan of not moving. How could we make things work in Wisconsin? As she spoke, I was thinking, "Maybe we could extend the basement here, and maybe put a breezeway to the garage there." I was back in Wisconsin. Yes, it would be rough with Dave finding a local job, but the waiting was over.

But I had to focus on the conversation; I was still on the phone.

"You're not getting the loan. The problem is Dave's length on the job. It's only been about 2 months and it's only a 6 month contract, and if he were to get the loan, and then lose his job, what would happen then." (Foreshadowing alert #3)

She was genuinely disappointed and found it hard to tell me, but I assured her that we had just been waiting on the LORD and trusting that he would show us if we should move or not, and we would be fine with whatever he directs us to do.

Thinking that I should at least make an effort to hold up my end of the conversation, I asked, "Well, how much time on the job would they require to approve the loan?" while I compared the level of the garage entry to the mudroom.

"It would have to be at least 6 months on the job," was the answer.

That made it pretty cut and dried. No loan. He did not have 6 months on the job, and that was the criteria, and it could not be changed. Wasn't that the answer we had been waiting for? We were out of escrow! Yipee!

I compared the orientation of the garage roof with the main house.

"Hmmm," I mused aloud, as I counted how many paces from the back of the house to the big maple tree, "...it just seems strange. Everyone Dave works with is on these kind of contracts, often just 6 month at a time, or a year, and they just keep renewing them indefinately..." 12 feet, 13 feet... "and he's been working this way for 10 years."

As I checked the diameter of the tree, to see how much work it would be to tear it out,
she asked, "Wait a minute....what did you just say?"

"He's been working this way for 10 years?" I answered. Why would she ask me that?

"Let me look here... didn't you already send a letter explaining that?" she asked. "Boy, your file is HUGE! Yes, here it is. I'm going to send this back to underwriting, and I'll call you right back."

And we hung up.

We were back in escrow.

My thoughts of remodeling suddenly were halted. I called Dave to relay the strange conversation to him. Before we were done, the phone signaled that new call was coming in. It was the loan officer.

"I sent this to underwriting again, but they are still denying the loan. But I think they are wrong about this, and I spoke to my supervisor and he agrees, so I am escalating it, and it will take at least a week to get an answer. I can't promise anything. They rarely overturn the underwriter's decision."

To make a long story short, we were back to waiting. Our hopes for finally knowing were dashed to bits, as we waited for the higher-ups to respond. After a few days wait, we learned that the higher up was in Hawaii for the week. So, back to the same old thing....waiting....clueless.

Ever hoping to save some time, Dave and I had this idea: Since we are going to the higher ups anyway, and since we are waiting anyway, could the loan officer also mention to the higher ups the basement waterproofing issue, and could they decide if we were good to go with that. (You may recall that we accidentally learned the house had work done on the basement which carried a 20 year guarantee. The bank was requiring that the basement be waterproofed, but we had not received confirmation if the previous work had been accepted as sufficient.) So, we asked our loan officer if she could get that in the pipeline as well.

We waited. We spent more time with friends as we were able. Dave's weekly commute to St Louis continued, usually by 7 hour drive each way each weekend. He was getting tired.

Finally the ambiguous response from the higher ups was recieved: "We're going to move ahead with this loan." The loan officer felt encouraged that this was a big deal. Rarely does a decision by underwriting get reversed. However, we were wondering, "What does 'move ahead' mean? And also, what did they say about the basement waterproofing issue?"

Well, we finally learned that the bank was requiring an inspection to determine if the basement was waterproofed. Our research indicated that this was kind of tricky to do, because if there was no rain, it would appear to be waterproofed. However, the Lord took care of that, because there were several inches of rain 24 hours before the basement inspection could be done!

No, it was not waterproofed.

The inspector from the waterproofing company explained that the warranty did not cover the leakage because it was from a portion of the basement which was not worked on. The amount of work required would come to $3,500.00.

Again, because this house was being sold "as is," this seemed to mean that we were at an impass. We did not have the money. In fact, the four months of escrow had caused us to pay for many non-refundable inspections and services. Humanly speaking, we felt discouraged that this could not have all been disclosed from the start, because we had already sank so much money into this deal. But we did see that the Lord had led us step by step through the process. Hmm.

Our realtor explained the situation to the sellers. We could pay a very nominal amount, but not $3,500.00. We were past the contingency period, so we expected to also lose our earnest money. Unexpectedly, the response from the sellers was quick in coming.

The sellers responded that
they would pay for the basement repairs!

So, again, we were back in escrow. Again, Dave was revitalized to continue his commute in hopes that we would soon all be in St Louis. Again, I seriously considered packing up to move.

The waterproofing company said they could begin work as soon as they had some rainy days, because our job was an inside job. So we waited for more rain.

When the waterproofing company was ready to begin work, there was a mix up with the sellers which caused the waterproofers to pack up and leave, saying they needed more clarification before they could begin work. Ug.

A new closing date was set.

The work was completed.

We packed up our stuff.

And thus and so and by and by, we closed on the house.

There wasn't anything really exciting or thrilling about the close, except, as the reader may surmise, it was pulled off without much stressing out on our part, since we had been conditioned to constantly assume something would backfire, and maybe things would be put on hold or not go through. It was definitely a time of just waiting for the LORD to work out the details.

We hope to finally close this series with an epilogue, which will wrap up some of the foreshadowing for you so you can keep it straight. Stay tuned; it gets even better!

Friday, January 01, 2010

Lowest unloading height!

Praise the Lord, Dave and crew made it home after the boys did a quick but secure homemade fix on the brakes, saving us towing, parts and labor, and time! The arrived safe and sound by 10 pm, and we enjoyed a nice supper, Bible time, songs and 'SECRET DOCUMENTS' (currently reading 'East Wind' by Ruth Hunt). This morning, we sprung into action with our block the street maneuver which allows us to not do all the lifting required in Wisconsin. Many hands make light work!


Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The last leg

We are on our last leg with the move from Wisconsin...literally and figuratively.

Figuratively because we are hoping to soon head back to St Louis after wrapping up our third and possibly final bus trip to the old house, after working on cleaning, paining and finishing up, etc.

Literally, because the boys discovered what might be a major mechanical problem on the bus. It looks like the brake line is broken.

Our prayer is that we can get it into the shop and it won't turn out to be as major as it seems right now. We were hoping they could head home tomorrow morning, but of course, as long as they make it safe, we'll be happy. We are very thankful that this didn't happen on the road.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

We made it back praise the LORD!

We made it safely home this morning at 2 am. We had to make numerous stops, as more hose leaks sprang up. The boys did one more repair, and then we started a regimen of stopping to add a couple of gallons of water every 30 miles. However, Dave came out with the wagon for the last 70 miles, letting me drive the wagon. It was nice, as we had to drive most of the way with our heater OFF to help retain coolant. The kids were all warm with blankets, but driver has to run the c c cold defroster! So he was our knight in shining station wagon! Today, we will start unloading. Heavy rain and thunderstorms expected all day, but we shouldn't have to work in the mud today!.

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Out of hot water praise the Lord!

We finished the last minute packing this morning, which took quite a while. We left about noon, got diesel and burgers (for brunch), and headed south. About 40 min south of Madison, the coolant light went off, so we pulled over on the shoulder of the interstate. Coolant was steaming under the hood. Traffic slow because of the plows on the road. We called a mobile truck mechanic, who brought more coolant and 'accidentally' found a hose leak while checking our oil. He checked oil for lack of anything else to do, not able to find a leak! Praise the Lord! So we are traveling later than expected into the evening.

Thank you for using Picture and Video Messaging by U.S. Cellular. See www.uscellular.com for info.

Monday, December 21, 2009

Thinking inside the box

We stumbled onto a great idea for a substitute highchair for Joshie! It's hard to let him feed himself with no highchair here, but we wanted to conserve space in the bus for the next trip. This highchair is durable, educational, disposable and recyclable. We are having rice and beans tonight and packing the night away, except for Mommy. I am not crucial for packing personnel, so will probably go to bed earlier so I can drive.


Doing his part

Noah found the impact driver - no stopping him now! Zak put out the call for stuff in bags, to use the arched roof space remaining. It's getting dark outside.


Loading up the bus

Solomon and Ben are the main movers, bringing out the Zak-specified furniture. Noah hit some tight screws and is looking all over for the impact driver. We have a long way to go!


Heatwave!

We are basking in our 24 degrees today, really, as we move. It had been even colder, but below 22 is pretty difficult, even for the occasional sledding trip. Zak is supervising and specifying which items to bring. Our empty dressers were loaded with homeless items, and now we are bringing in more furniture. We are all ready to use every nook and cranny for the trip. Noah is removing our coat hooks and other screwed in organizers. The house here is nearly chairless, which was how we left the house in St Louis.

Thank you for using Picture and Video Messaging by U.S. Cellular. See www.uscellular.com for info.

Gideon

"Mommy, I don't have a single winkle pair of socks!"


Perfect timing!

We had a special blessing this weekend! Some friends from Upper Michigan came for a visit for a couple of days. They are praying and working towards returning to Romania to serve the Lord. We had been praying we could get both our families together for the first time, somehow, before we moved. When they called last week, we thought ideal for a visit this weekend because it might be our family's last time in Wisconsin altogether. It worked out! We had a great time of fellowship and sharing missionanary stories and singing in Romanian and Spanish. Sunday, we all headed to church in our bus and we enjoyed a special time with our church family in Madison. We are so blessed. The Lord has allowed us many special visits with friends old and new during the last couple of months! Today we hope to pack the bus for our second trip down. Lord willing, we'd like to go tomorrow.

Thank you for using Picture and Video Messaging by U.S. Cellular. See www.uscellular.com for info.

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Snow place like home

The boys are loading up the pickup for Dave's return tomorrow. He has to be back at work Monday, and we remembered certain items are too tall for the bus. It's about 30 degrees with light snow, making things a little interesting. After this trip, we will transition to calling the new place home, as the majority of the stuff will be in St Louis. We should be heading back with the second busload on Tues or Wed, Lord willing.


Friday, December 18, 2009

We're off like a herd of turtles!

We are back on the road now, after a quick return to the house to get some forgotten JACKETS! I think we have most everything else. Chance of snow in St Louis. (We credit the Tauberts of Beaver Creek Minnesota for the reptillian similie! Love you guys!)


One more time!

Today we are putting it in reverse and getting ready to head back to Wisconsin for the next load. Bekah is getting things ready for a fun snack dinner on the bus tonight. The kids are strategically packing for about five days. It's a huge job! There is no clothes washer at the old house, as we brought it here, so we have to bring enough but not too much. Plus, house trash cans, rugs, brooms, kitchen items, can opener, bedding, linens, empty boxes that we can reuse, tools, all winter wear, including our pressure washed snowboots which were encased in Mississippi mud from the pre-move yardwork in the rain, etc. We are looking forward to a weekend trip with Daddy. He will have to head back in the pickup to St Louis for work Monday, and is bringing our queen box spring which does not fit in the bus, among other things. I think that is the only thing that we can't get into the bus. Lord willing, the rest of will follow back with a busload on Wednesday or so.


Thursday, December 17, 2009

Getting ready for more

Today we are shifting gears a bit and getting ready for the return trip to Wisconsin for another bus load. We are getting our chainsaw sharpened by a gentleman who says he can clue us in on level spots where we can do some bus maintenance. The boys will be working in the sweltering 40s (Wisconsinites, do I jest? Nay!) to change oil and trans filter, both of which are leaking badly. Guess you could say we are leaving a mark on Missouri.


Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Spacing out

Those who visited out Wisconsin home will note a slight increase in the size of the new place. I had the interesting experience yesterday of having to leave the kitchen, and travel down the hall, to check on nappers yesterday. In Portage, all the children could be checked on while I flipped pancakes, without leaving the kitchen!


Stump? What stump?

By the light of the hallogen worklamp, as the temps plunged, the boys' objective was achieved! Wow!


Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Keeping busy

Sammy is unwrapping dishes and flattening the paper for safe keeping.

Thank you for using Picture and Video Messaging by U.S. Cellular. See www.uscellular.com for info.

We're in!

Dave just picked up our conditional permit to occupy the house! We still have to remove, re-seed and mulch the stump area by Jan 13, but now we can just relax and MOVE IN! Praise the Lord! The boys are celebrating by trying to take out the last of the stump! It's getting dark and cold...but I guess it's exhilarating in some way. Taco Bell tomorrow with Daddy!


Don't tell them it's impossible...

The inspector was out this morning and seemed somewhat impressed with overall progress. At seeing the moat- encircled stump, he looked bewildered and sympathetic, recommending a grinding service. Not in our budget right now, however Taco Bell may be...the boys have made LOTS of progress since this morning! Praise the Lord!